Locations Job Description Summary
Medical Information (MI) strives to enhance BD's reputation and the value of BD products by responding to medical and technical questions or requests for information from health care professionals or other departments within the company regarding BD products and related products. Additionally, the department works to provide relevant feedback to the Business Units that can impact the overall success of BD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Specializes in products and procedures using products sold by BD. Handles inquiries for the business unit supported.
- Receives and responds to incoming medical and technical inquiries from internal and external customers regarding various BD products. Researching medical and technical issues is frequently required.
- Refers more complex inquiries that exceed the scope of responsibility or knowledge to MI Lead.
- Assists Business Unit in developing new marketing/sales materials.
- Assists Business Unit in reviewing/updating IFUs and marketing/sales materials.
- Keeps current on Business Unit products and procedures by reviewing product literature and medical/technical journals and by attending training sessions on new products, most often via webinar.
- Notifies sales representatives of customer inquiries where appropriate.
- Records information regarding each inquiry in department's database.
- Communicates issues derived from inquiries to department manager where appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficient in the use of a personal computer with high level keyboarding skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills required in the areas of verbal and written communications, customer focus, excellent organizational skills, telephone courtesy, and professionalism.
- Must have a general medical and scientific background, including a working knowledge of human anatomy and physiology and an understanding of how medical devices are used in clinical settings.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to solve problems real-time.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree, nursing
- Minimum five (5) years in health care industry (MICU and/or OR experience desired)
- Ability to read and comprehend detailed instructions, business correspondence and memos.
- Ability to write basic correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in a one-on-one or small group situation to clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute ratios and percentages, and to draw and interpret basic line or bar graphs.
Inquiries vary tremendously in nature and subject. Complexity is high due to the requirement for understanding multiple product lines from several different BD Business Units and issues associated with the medical industry in general. Superior judgment is essential to minimize company liability. Employee must be capable of evaluating each inquiry for potential medical, regulatory, legal, and customer relations concerns.
Employee is required to sit, bend, stoop, use keyboard, see, talk and hear. May occasionally lift objects up to 25 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in a normal office environment. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
Primary Work LocationUSA GA - Covington BMD